Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Enjoy your Spring Break! We will see you again on Monday, March 20th, 2017.
- The HRA Front Office will be open during Spring Break. Taylor will be happy to help you with any questions or concerns, if you would like to call the school or drop by Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- 40 Days for Life is happening here in Anchorage from March 1st to April 9th. We encourage families to make time this Lent to support the defense of life. For more information about 40 Days for Life, visit 40daysforlife.com/Anchorage.
- Upper School Students and families – SEAS is hosting a community service Staycation over spring break. The flier and registration form can be found under the Documents tab of the HRA Sycamore homepage and is attached to this email.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- We would like to thank all of the families who have already shared their school intentions for next fall. This information helps us plan the schedules and make decisions on how many new students we can accept for the coming year.
- Thank you to HRA In-door Soccer parents, Cookson, Mr. Beaty and Mr. Smith for helping coordinate practices and transport students to and from practices while it has been so windy and cold this week.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 3/6: Miss Neumayr made the following announcements at the Morning Assembly:
- This first week of Lent is a wonderful time for us all to consider how we can offer extra devotions to God through sacrifice, prayer, and alms giving.
- The In-door Soccer Team played their first games on Friday, March 3rd. Their round robin competition resulted in 1 win and 1 loss. The played very well in exciting matches. Go Knights!
- HRA Students competed in the state finals for the World Language Declamation competition on Saturday, March 4th at South High School. Mr. Mason announced the results:
- Latin I: Aine Nakada (9th) – 1st place
- Latin II: Grace Woyte (9th) – 2nd place; Elena Biegel (9th) – 1st place
- Latin III: Macklen Bell (9th) – 2nd place; Drew Benton (11th) – 1st place
- AP Latin: Savio Le (10th) – 1st place
- Anchorage Japanese School is going to start using parts of the HRA campus for their classes on Saturdays. They will move their supplies into the St. Bosco Bldg. on March 18th and classes will begin on April 8th.
TUESDAY 3/7: The 7th-11th Grades took the National Latin Exam. Results will be announced at the Awards Assembly on the last day of school.
TUESDAY 3/7: The Lower School attended Mass with Fr. Brosamer in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th), and Isaac Grandel (5th)
- Readers: Tina Nguyen (6th) and Fernanda Cedillo-Rendon (6th)
WEDNESDAY 3/8: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule and was dismissed at noon.
WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY 3/8-10: Student Presentations for the Upper School took place Wednesday and Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. High School Juniors & Seniors gave video presentations in front of their families and teachers while Freshmen & Sophomores gave Ted Talk style speeches. Jr. High students made formal speeches using only notecards. All students demonstrated knowledge and skills they had gained over the course of this school year. Thank you to Mrs. Furby, Mrs. Schirda, and Mr. Mason for preparing the students for their presentations.
THURSDAY 3/9: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule and all HRA Students were dismissed at noon.
THURSDAY 3/9: A photographer from the Catholic Anchor visited the Algebra I class to take pictures for an article about Fr. Manzano’s duties and assignments while he has been here in the Archdiocese of Anchorage. We would like to thank the students of the Algebra I class for sharing their valuable class time in this way.
THURSDAY 3/9: Upper School attended Mass with Fr. Manzano in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Manzano. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Savio Le (10th)
- Readers: Grace Ward (7th) and Bernadette Hart (7th)
THURSDAY 3/9: The In-door Soccer team won both of their games in the round robin play at Lumen Christi. Go Knights! Our new Athletic Director, Mrs. Curran, was very impressed with the team’s sportsmanship and commends the players and student volunteer coaches, Andrew Cookson (10th) and Eric Bjelland (12th).
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 3/9-10: Student Presentations for the Lower School took place on Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. Each student explained a little of what they have learned in school this year to their family and teacher. Thank you to all the Lower School Teachers for preparing the students so well for their presentations.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY-FRIDAY 3/13-17: SPRING BREAK – We hope everyone enjoys this well-earned vacation.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- 3rd Quarter Lower School Report Cards will go home with students on Monday, March 20th.
- There will be a faculty appreciation luncheon on Tuesday, March 21st.
- Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at St. Anthony parish the weekend of March 25th & 26th. Any families who attend Mass there that weekend are invited to stop and say hello.
- There will be an Open House on the evening of Wednesday, April 5th. Parents and students are encouraged to help give tours and visit with prospective families who are considering coming to Holy Rosary Academy next year.
- The last Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 10th at 6:30 p.m. in the Kolbe Lobby.
- There will be no school April 13th-17th in observation of Holy Week and Easter.