Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- CLASSES RESUME MONDAY, APRIL 9TH
- NEW SPRING P.A. FUNDRAISER – The HRA Parent Association is hosting a collection drive for clothing and small household items. Value Village is partnering with us for a Rummage Sale on Wednesday, April 11th. BRING YOUR GENTLY USED ITEMS TO HRA between MONDAY-WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9TH-11TH, and Holy Rosary Academy will receive a portion of the proceeds.
- NO PARKING BETWEEN THE LIGHT POST AND FIREWEED LANE IN THE EAST PARKING LOT: The parking spaces between the light post and Fireweed Lane in the East Parking Lot are reserved for the Dental Office. They have called to make complaints about having their parking spaces taken by HRA vehicles or having their vehicles blocked by HRA family vehicles. Please be good neighbors to the business that shares our parking lot.
- ENROLLMENT DEADLINES:
- The deadline for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- Preference for returning students will also end on Tuesday, May 15th. After this date, we cannot give priority to returning students over new students who apply.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fisher needs a ramp built at his home. Mrs. Rawalt is organizing a group of HRA volunteers for this building project. Call the HRA Front Office or email the HRA Share Hour Coordinator to volunteer for this project.
- Congratulations to Cameron Dixon (5th) on placing in the top 8 competitors in the Final Round of the Alaska Geography Bee. Cameron had a perfect score in his preliminary round, sending him straight to the finals. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
Happy Easter, everyone!
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 4/9: CLASSES RESUME
MONDAY 4/9: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 4/9: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 7th Grade Theology class.
MONDAY 4/9: The HS Drama Club will practice in the Kolbe Lobby after school, 3:15-5:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 4/11: The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A with a music rehearsal in the afternoon for grades 7-12.
WEDNESDAY 4/11: The HS Drama club will practice in the St. Cecilia music room after school, 3:15-5:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 4/11: Faculty Meeting, 3:30 p.m. in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library
THURSDAY 4/12: Board of Trustees Meeting, 7-9 a.m. in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library
THURSDAY 4/12: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visiting Kindergarten
THURSDAY 4/12: Upper School Confession for 12th & 11th Grades
THURSDAY 4/12: K-12 Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall, 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 4/13: The Upper School will follow a Joseph Schedule
FRIDAY 4/13: Greek & Roman Festival rehearsal for Grades K-12 in St. Dominic’s Hall, 1-3 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- The final Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 16th in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Greek & Roman Festival, Friday, April 20th
- ATTN 11TH GRADE PARENTS – Mark your calendars!
11th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Thursday, April 26th, 1-3 p.m. daily.
- Monday: Alexander O’Neill, Andrew Cookson, Felicity Hart
- Tuesday: Joseph Bjelland, John Lastimoso
- Wednesday: Isabella van Tets, Carly Syren, Jacinta Grandel
- Thursday: Thomas Biegel, Savio Le
- ATTN 12TH GRADE PARENTS – Mark your calendars!
12th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Friday, April 27th, 4-6 p.m. daily and also 1-3 p.m. on Friday
- Monday: Atlin Bell, Forrest Rose
- Tuesday: Gabi Holder, Sam Jemmings
- Wednesday: Ciara McMorrow, Hanna Massell
- Thursday: Stephen Woyte, Lael Droege
- Friday (1-3): Michael Lucas, Juliana Biegel (4-6): Drew Benton, Jon Syren
- May Crowning, 2:00 p.m. – The event will be outside or in St. Dominic’s Hall based on the weather that day.
- Festival of Poetry & Song, Friday, May 4th in St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall, 7 p.m. – Students should arrive at 6:30 p.m.
- Upper School Prom on Saturday, May 5th at the Sheraton Hotel downtown, 7 p.m.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Formation in Spiritual Discernment That the Church may appreciate the urgency of formation in spiritual discernment, both on the personal and communitarian levels.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- For the speedy recovery of Bernadette Hart (8th) after her back surgery
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) currently in the hospital
- Bronwen Scott-Branagan (grandmother of a student) in need of healing prayers
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th