Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL!
- Alumni parent, Mary Kemper, has organized a meal train for Michelle Droege and her family. She is only asking for help two nights a week, so we are hoping to help them through the rest of the school year. If you would like to help provide the family with a freezable meal for 10, Mary Kemper will need to add your email address to the SignUp Genius task group in order for you to log into SignUp Genius at http://www.signupgenius.com/findasignup. (You do not need to be a member of SignUp Genius.) Use Mary Kempers email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and the code “2846”. Contact Mrs. Furby at email@example.com for help signing up if you would rather not share your email address, but would still like to help the family. There has already been a terrific response through February. If you would like to look ahead to March through May, we are hoping to help the family for the rest of the school year.
- There were not enough students from the 5th-8th grades signed-up for volleyball this season. We will not have a Jr. High Co-Ed Volleyball Team this year.
- The Jr. High Indoor Soccer season for boys and girls in grades 5-8 begins February 15th. Sign-up sheets for the soccer team will be posted in late January.
- We congratulate HRA alumnus, Sang Nguyen (‘16), for making the Dean’s Honor List at UC Irvine during his first semester of college.
- We have 22 coupons in the Front Office available for $20.00 off any Schoolbelles uniform purchase between now and August 31st, 2017. They will be given out on a first come, first served basis. Please stop by the Front Office to check if there are any still available.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Miss Evans and the HRA Band for their efforts in preparation for the Epiphany Concert.
- Thank you to Alex O’Neil (10th) for mending the new gate next to the St. Bosco Building during the campus stewardship activity. He noticed the need and worked to solve the problem without being asked by a teacher.
- Take responsibility for learning.
- Arrive to school on time.
- Be prepared for class
- Demonstrate a serious and responsible attitude in daily work.
- Homework is carefully and thoughtfully completed and on time.
- Try to settle differences in a peaceful manner.
- Respect other people’s property and personal space.
- Do not physically or verbally fight with others.
- Do not take anything that does not belong to you.
- Follow the directions of adults in charge, the first time.
- Look at the speaker
- Do not talk back to teachers or adults in charge.
- This includes substitutes and lunchroom supervisors.
- Be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others.
- Use appropriate language at all times.
- Do not bully or tease other children
- Never boo or whistle in the auditorium.
- Be willing to help each other.
- Be friendly and courteous.
- Move safely through the school.
- No playing around in bathrooms or hallways.
- No running in the lunchroom, hallways or up and down stairs.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY-TUESDAY 1/2-3: The Christmas vacation continued into the mid-week.
WEDNESDAY 1/4: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- We welcome everyone back to the new semester.
- We are happy to celebrate the last week of the Christmas season together. Miss Neumayr received a lovely gift for her birthday: a lovely display set of gold, frankincense and myrrh. The traditional gifts of the magi were made available for classes to see up close.
- HRA is excited to welcome a new student to the 7th Grade this semester, Brooke Bune.
- We congratulated Michael Lucas (11th) for winning the state wrestling championship for his weight category over the Christmas vacation. Miss Neumayr praised Michael for maintaining his academic work so responsibly during his exhausting season. He is a true athlete scholar and she commends his good character.
THURSDAY 1/5: Fr. Manzano presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Manzano. We also thank Dr. Walters for selecting the music for Mass this week and the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Servers: Macklen Bell (9th) and Thomas Biegel (10th)
Readers: Bernadette Hart (7th) and Felicity Hart (10th)
FRIDAY 1/6: HRA hosted our 2nd annual Epiphany Concert with a lovely opening of readings and reflections about Epiphany and the Incarnation read by Miss Neumayr and Drew Benton (11th). The concert featured a brief performance by the HRA Band followed by group Christmas caroling to celebrate the end of the Christmas season. We were thrilled to have so many families join us this year.
FRIDAY 1/6: After the concert, Upper School spent the rest of the afternoon packing the Christmas decorations and tidying the campus. We are so very grateful for their excellent efforts. The campus is no longer so festive, but the students have made it beautiful and orderly for our return to Ordinary Time.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 1/9: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY-THURSDAY: Students may submit their pizza orders to their teachers this week in preparation for Pizza Day the following week.
WEDNESDAY 1/11: 1st Grade will take a field trip to visit Fire Station 1.
THURSDAY 1/12: There will be an All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:45 a.m. Parents are welcome to attend.
FRIDAY 1/13: Faculty In-Service day. NO CLASSES – The students will be given a full day’s worth of school work, since it is not to be considered a vacation day.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY, JANUARY 16TH in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- The high school will perform Shakespeare’s Macbeth on Friday, January 20th and Saturday, January 21st at the Lunney Center at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Performances will be at 12:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. each day. The Saturday night show will be a Dinner Theater event with dinner served at 6:00 p.m. Tickets may be purchased at the Front Office leading up to the performances. Please make your dinner theater reservations by the Wednesday before the performance.