Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Holy Rosary Academy has been awarded a five-year place on the Catholic Education Honor Roll by the Cardinal Newman Society. The national Honor Roll program has recognized over 300 high-performing Catholic high schools nationwide since the program’s inception in 2004. We are one of the first schools to be honored in their new K-12 program. We have received specific recognition for our strong integration of Catholic identity throughout our curriculum, the integrity of our mission, and the strength of our community and rich spiritual life. The Honor Roll also recognized the school’s efforts at integral formation of the minds, bodies, and spirits of our students as well as its comprehensive academic program which seeks to instill a Christian vision of the world and human wisdom and culture. Go, Knights!
- NEW SPRING P.A. FUNDRAISER – The HRA Parent Association is hosting a collection drive for clothing and small household items. Value Village is partnering with us for a Rummage Sale on Wednesday, April 11th. BRING YOUR GENTLY USED ITEMS TO HRA between MONDAY-WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9TH-11TH, and Holy Rosary Academy will receive a portion of the proceeds.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is still homebound after his knee replacement and fewer people are coming to visit him. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Joshua Gatus and Ms. Hodel for subbing in 6th Grade this week.
- Thank you to Dixon for subbing in 5th Grade on Thursday morning.
- Congratulations to Drew Benton (12th) on being accepted to the following universities with scholarships: Grand Canyon University – $51,000; University of Oklahoma – $28,000; and Clark University – $58,000.
- Congratulations to Jon Syren (12th) who was accepted to Gonzaga University with a $56,000 scholarship.
- Thank you to Will Deering (10th) for shoveling snow again last weekend and to Will, Jonas Knox (8th), Christopher Knox (11th) & Ellie Droege (6th) who helped chip ice and shovel snow from pathways around campus this week.
- 5th-8th Grade Indoor Soccer – Lumen Christi Soccer Rally on Friday, 3/23 at 4:00 p.m. The results will be announced at the next Morning Assembly.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 3/19: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- We are over half way through Lent and can look forward to Palm Sunday.
- Thank you to everyone for welcoming all of our campus visitors and prospective families
MONDAY 3/19: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: David Droege (4th), Joshua Fouch (7th), Jonas Knox (8th), Gary Holder (9th), Will Deering (10th)
- Schola: Miss Logsdail, Therese Knox (’16), Mario Bird (Trustee), Luke Boe, & John Forbes
MONDAY 3/19: After Mass, the students enjoyed a special spaghetti lunch to celebrate The Feast of St. Joseph, one of our school patrons. We would like to thank all the parents who contributed spaghetti and bread as well as those parents who helped with set-up, clean-up, and serving lunch: Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Bratulescu, Mr. & Mrs. Justiniano, Mrs. Lincoln, and Mrs. Ward.
TUESDAY 3/20: Grades 4-12 attended an assembly with Thomas Awiepo, an Operation Rice Bowl recipient from Ghana who is visiting Anchorage to talk about his experience with Catholic Relief Services.
WEDNESDAY 3/21: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule and were dismissed early for Student Presentations in the afternoon.
THURSDAY 3/22: Grades K-12 were dismissed early for Student Presentations in the afternoon.
THURSDAY 3/22: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule in the morning before Student Presentations.
THURSDAY 3/22: First Grade enjoyed a field trip to the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts to see Step Afrika! Thank you to parent volunteer, Mr. Patton for driving the bus for the field trip.
FRIDAY 3/23: K-12 students have a study at home day while teachers observe Student Presentations by appointment throughout the day.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 3/26: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 3/26: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. will be observing the 10th Grade Church History class.
MONDAY 3/26: HS Drama Club meeting in Kolbe Lobby
TUESDAY 3/27: K-12 Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall, 9:45 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 3/28: The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A and participate in an All-Upper-School Seminar in the afternoon.
WEDNESDAY 3/28: HS Drama Club meeting in the St. Cecilia Music Room
THURSDAY 3/29: Maundy Thursday, NO SCHOOL
FRIDAY 3/30: Good Friday, NO SCHOOL
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION: MARCH 29-APRIL 8
- CLASSES RESUME Monday, April 9th.
- The final Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 16th in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Greek & Roman Festival, Friday, April 20th
- 11th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Thursday, April 26th, 1-3 p.m. daily.
- 12th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Friday, April 27th, 4-6 p.m. daily and also 1-3 p.m. on Friday
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Formation in Spiritual Discernment That the Church may appreciate the urgency of formation in spiritual discernment, both on the personal and communitarian levels.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- For the speedy recovery of Bernadette Hart (8th) after her back surgery.
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)