Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Early Re-Enrollment opens February 15th – The Early Re-Enrollment Discount period for the 2018-2019 school year will be open February 15th-March 16th. Each family that pays their Re-Enrollment Fees will earn a $100 discount.
- Tuition Increase Notice – HRA tuition will increase for the first time in eight years. In 2018-19, the Elementary tuition will be $5250 and the Upper School tuition will be $6500.
- Daily Prayer in the JPII Chapel – All are invited to join the parent prayer group that meets at 3:00 p.m. every school day in the JPII Chapel to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
- Girl Scout Cookies for the Troops – You can donate Girl Scout cookies to the troops of the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan. One of our 4th Graders, Anya, is a Girl Scout and her family will ship cookies to Afghanistan (c/o Fr. Ken Bolin) on behalf of everyone that wants to donate cookies to the troops. Contact Gabrielle Bryant at email@example.com to make a donation purchase.
- CENTURION REMINDER – Now that the HRA Raffle winners have been announced (see entry below) the HRA Administrative Staff is gearing up for the annual Centurion pledge drive! We ask all Holy Rosary Academy families to contribute names and addresses for our spring mailing fundraiser campaign. The first $250 of pledges donated by people from the contact list you provide the school count toward your family Tuition Expectation. Please make sure that all of your names and addresses are submitted to the Front Office by February 15th, 2018. (A copy of the Centurion contact list form is attached to this email.)
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- There is a Meal Train for the family of former HRA teacher Matthew (Kreppel) Krallek while they have a new baby. Please follow the link if you would like to participate: https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/98kdk5.
- Tickets are still available for the Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts Tea Party hosted by the 9th & 10th Grade Girls’ Homeroom on Saturday, March 17th at 2:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Call the Front Office for more details.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Bolin, Mrs. Cookson, Harmston, and Miss Ramos for subbing this week for teachers who were ill.
- Thank you to Stephen Hart (6th), Dalton Smith (5th), and Carlos Stevens (6th) for helping shovel snow on the pathways Monday morning and to Pendergast for grooming the pathways with the snow blower after the school day on Monday.
- Thank you to Stephen Woyte (12th) for writing our Latin Declamation article for this newsletter.
- Lincoln helped update our information about the eScrip fundraiser program that allows families to donate a percentage of the value of their online purchases to the Holy Rosary Academy Parent Association fund.
5th-8th Grade Volleyball
- Friday, February 2nd – The team lost their six games in the Lumen Christi rally. Everyone played very well for having so many young and inexperienced players.
- Friday, February 9th – The volleyball team was excused at 2:00 p.m. for a Rally at Wasilla Lake Christian School. Go, Knights!
5th-8th Grade Indoor Soccer Sign-ups have begun!
- Students in Grades 5-8 are encouraged to sign-up for Indoor Soccer. There is a meeting from 11:30 a.m.-noon on February 13th for all interested students to ask questions and pick-up detailed information and team paperwork.
- Indoor Soccer Fees & Paperwork are due at the following team meeting from 11:30 a.m.-noon on February 19th.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 2/5: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- We commend those teachers who participated in the Ski for Women last Sunday: Miss Massell, Mrs. O’Neill, Mrs. Welsh, and Williams. What a great example they set for being involved in all aspects of their community. Go, Knights!
- Thank you to everyone who helped Miss Neumayr at St. Andrew parish last weekend, the Longlet family, the Woyte family, the Marquez family, and Alexander O’Neill.
- Miss Neumayr thanked all of the students for their superb participation in the Catholic Schools Week Mass last Monday and shared with us that Abp. Schwietz told her it was the most beautiful of all the times he had presided at that event.
- After a preview of the week ahead, Miss Neumayr encouraged everyone to work hard on their big projects this semester. Grades 5-10 will be participating in the Science Fair next month and Grades 11-12 already have preliminary deadlines coming up for their theses.
- Everyone was reminded how to help prevent the spread of germs since this is a particularly fierce cold & flu season.
TUESDAY 2/6: Fr. Tom Lilly presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Lilly. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th) and Gregory Biegel (5th)
- Prayer Leader: Ellie Droege (6th)
- First Reading: Jennifer Lederhos (6th)
- Responsorial Psalm: Verity Pendergast (6th)
- Petitions: Arabella Allen (6th)
WEDNESDAY 2/7: Pizza Day – Thank you to our dear Pizza Moms who share so much of their time and good cheer each month to allow students to enjoy this treat.
THURSDAY 2/8: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visited the 2nd Grade and talked to them about the Dominican order and his habit, St. Josephine Bakhita, and why we have bone-shaped doughnuts to celebrate St. Thomas Aquinas’ feast day.
THURSDAY 2/8: Thank you to Fr. Michael Shields and Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. for hearing Upper School student Confessions this week.
THURSDAY 2/8: Fr. Michael Shields concelebrated the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. Thank you, Fr. Shields & Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: John Lastimoso (11th)
- First Reading: Drew Benton (12th)
- Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
- Petitions: Julianna Biegel (12th)
THURSDAY 2/8: Thank you to everyone who attended the 3rd Quarter Parent Association Meeting. Minutes from the meeting will be included in the next Weekly Update. We would also like to thank Gwendolyn Holder (7th) for babysitting during the meeting.
FRIDAY 2/9: Upper School Latin Declamations (by Stephen Woyte) – Every year the diligent Latin students of Holy Rosary Academy participate in a demonstration of their rhetorical skills during the HRA Latin Declamations. Each student is tasked with studying an influential Roman poet, Horace, Virgil, or Catullus, and one of his more famous poems. Working on committing these timeless pieces to memory, the ‘pupillae’ devote the beginnings of their first semester to their poet and his poem. The declamation is the culmination of their hard work and attention to detail. We commend the students that have truly pursued excellence:
Introduction to Latin
1st Place: Miguel Reyes (7th)
2nd Place: Joshua Fouch (7th)
3rd Place: Christian Bolin (7th)
Also worthy of note: Riley Smith (7th) & Gwen Holder (7th)
1st Place: Giselle Rachels (10th)
2nd Place: Paige Bolin (9th)
3rd Place: Ionut Bratulescu (7th)
Also worthy of note: Gary Holder (9th) & Carly Syren (11th)
1st Place: Mikael Hilario (8th)
2nd Place: Yordana Sidun (9th)
3rd Place: Angel Beaty (9th)
Also worthy of note: Emma Cookson (8th), Bernadette Hart (8th), & Charlie Stockard (8th)
FRIDAY 2/9: The 1st Grade went to see Anatomy of the Piano at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts. Thank you to Mr. Patton for driving the students in the school bus.
FRIDAY 2/9: Thank you to all the parents who joined us for HRA’s first Career Day! All grades participated in their wonderful event. Each student attended three different presentations throughout the afternoon from a great variety of presenters who spoke about various aspects of their careers. Thank you to Mrs. Holder for working so hard to plan and organize this event!
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 2/10-11: Miss Neumayr is visiting the Masses at Holy Family Cathedral to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 2/12: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 2/12: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the 11th Grade Catholic Morality class this week, due to a mix-up last week.
MONDAY 2/12: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school – The HS Drama club is producing a spring show, Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None!
TUESDAY 2/13: Elementary Mardi Gras Brunch, 10:30 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall – Contact Mrs. Broek, firstname.lastname@example.org, to volunteer as a pancake flipper or to lend your electric griddle for use at brunch.
TUESDAY 2/13: Faculty Luncheon – Asian theme
WEDNESDAY 2/14: Ash Wednesday Mass with the Dominican chaplains, 9:45 a.m.
WEDNESDAY 2/14: Upper School soup lunch – Each year on Ash Wednesday, the Upper School faculty makes meatless soups for the students.
WEDNESDAY 2/14: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school – The HS Drama club is producing a spring show, Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None!
THURSDAY 2/15: Mathfax test for grades 3-12
THURSDAY 2/15: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. will be training 5th Grade altar servers.
FRIDAY 2/16: Upper School Joseph Schedule with an Art History presentation from Dr. Walters in the afternoon, focusing on the Renaissance Period
FRIDAY 2/16: Upper School Stations of the Cross in the JPII Chapel during Homeroom for grades 7-12 (All students will have lunch together after Stations and enjoy meatless soups provided by the 12th Grade.)
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 2/17-18: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at Holy Cross parish to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- NO SCHOOL MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH in observance of Presidents Day
- K-12 Spirit Day – Prehistoric theme on Wednesday, February 21st
- Recruiting OPEN HOUSE – Wednesday, February 28th
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Universal: Say “No” to Corruption – That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee) having surgery
- Mara ElKhoury
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of Yrvin)
- Theresa Bird
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker, in home hospice for terminal cancer)
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)