Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- We are currently looking for someone to fill the position of Secretary of the HRA Parent Association. Please contact Miss Neumayr if you are willing to help in this way.
- HRA is in need of particular auction/donation assistance:
- Miles for two round trip airline tickets (Further donations will help bring Domincan Friars to our High School Retreat.)
- Time Share accommodations (fulfills auction obligation)
- Auction Table sponsorship (fulfills auction obligation)
- Donation of new electronics
- Donation of oysters (for a catered event)
- Raffle Tickets are available in the HRA Front Office. Make sure to sign-out your raffle tickets as soon as possible.
- You are invited to participate in the 2017 Rosary Rally following the 9:00 a.m. Mass on Saturday, October 14th in the Holy Family Cathedral’s Outdoor Grotto. The Rosary Rally begins at 9:45 .m. with Archbishop Etienne as guest speaker. Please join in praying for peace in the world and the salvation of souls. For more information, contact the Legion of Mary at 242-2908. (*This event happens at the same time as the HRA Auction set-up.)
- Welsh will have HRA Band sign-ups at Back to School Night. Please send her a Pass-A-Note or email if you will not be attending Back to School Night but would like your child to be in the HRA Band.
- The Murray family is looking for a trustworthy babysitter to provide morning childcare for two boys, ages 9 yrs. and 4 yrs. The sitter would be needed for two hours each morning to help the boys get ready and drop them off at school two to four days a week and must have a safe and reliable means of transportation. If interested, please contact Mrs. Murray at email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Our auction team who are already hard at work planning an extraordinary event for the 30th Anniversary HRA Gala Auction.
- HRA parent, Drew Koop, has recently been diagnosed with cancer. The family asks for your prayers for his health and recovery. They note that they do not need any other assistance at this time.
- Thank you to HRA parents, Bell & Mr. Cookson, for helping drive and chaperone the soccer team for the TriValley Tournament. Our particular thanks to Mrs. Bell for helping procure the rented vans used to transport the team to Healy, AK.
- The High School Soccer Team spent Thursday and Friday at the TriValley Soccer Tournament in Healy.
- The students played a close game on Thursday. The defense was very strong on both sides, resulting in a 0:1 loss to SuValley.
- On Friday, HRA lost to Delta Junction, the most challenging team in the league.
- On Saturday morning, HRA finished the tournament with a win against Birchwood. Go Knights!
- The Girls’ High School Volleyball season began Tuesday, September 5th. Students are still welcome to join the team.
- Boys’ High School Wrestling starts on October 1st. Mike Lucas will be coaching again this season. Please contact the Athletic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to let Coach Lucas know you are interested in High School Wrestling this season.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 9/4: Everyone enjoyed the Labor Day holiday at home with their families.
TUESDAY 9/5: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Please keep praying for people in Texas and Louisiana who are still suffering the ravages of Hurricane Harvey. Over 100,000 people have lost their homes to this storm and subsequent flooding.
- Hurricane Irma is on its way to Miami, FL and Cuba. Please pray that this next storm goes back out to sea and weakens.
- Miss Neumayr acknowledged all of the Seniors who are leading prayers throughout the week:
- Gabrielle Holder and Drew Benton are leading the Morning Prayers for Assemblies this year.
- Lael Droege, Stephen Woyte, and Ciara McMorrow are leading the Lunch Prayers this year.
- Jon Syren and Julianna Biegel are leading the Afternoon Prayers this year.
- Michael Lucas and Atlin Bell are leading the prayers before and after Mass this year.
TUESDAY 9/5: Picture Day – We thank the following parent volunteers for their help with Picture Day: Mrs. Cagle, Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Reiman, and Mrs. Rawalt. The students were even better behaved than usual and we were able to photograph everyone before noon, even with the increase in students this year. We commend everyone for looking so sharp and thank all the boys who shared their ties so that everyone looked their best. Class Pictures and make-up/retakes will be taken on Tuesday, November 7th.
TUESDAY 9/5: Fr. Ken Bolin presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. and Br. Joshua. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th) & Earthen Le (6th)
- Readers: Isaac Grandel (6th), Amarisa Manuel (6th), & Verity Pendergast (6th)
- Cantor: Mrs. Welsh
- Prayer Leader: Arabella Allen (6th)
THURSDAY 9/7: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Mitchell Marquez (9th)
- Readers: Cate Droege (10th) and Ashley Stephens (10th)
- Cantor: Dr. Walters
FRIDAY 9/8: 1st Grade Retreat – The 1st Grade class had a wonderful retreat at Holy Family Cathedral led by our new Retreat Coordinator, Marisa Ramos (’13).
FRIDAY 9/8: The Upper School followed the Joseph Schedule. The 7th-10th grades spent the afternoon learning beginning preparation for the Science Fair with Mr. Welsh and the 11th & 12th grades started their work for the spring Thesis with Miss Neumayr. Afterwards, they all taught each other to make corded rosaries with Dr. Walters.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 9/11: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 9/11: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the Kindergarten class in the morning as part of their religion studies.
TUESDAY 9/12: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Brosamer
WEDNESDAY 9/13: Elementary Back to School Night – Elementary parents may drop in to visit their children’s classrooms between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. No appointments necessary, parents will be seen in order of their arrival.
WEDNESDAY 9/13: Upper School Back to School Night – Upper School parents are invited to simulate a reduced version of their child’s school day. Please arrive by 6:30 p.m. for the one hour tour of your child’s classes. Teachers will be available for individual conversations afterward.
THURSDAY 9/14: Board of Trustees Meeting in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library from 7:00-9:00 a.m.
THURSDAY 9/14: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 9/15: 2nd Grade Retreat – 2nd Grade will go on retreat to Holy Family Cathedral for the day.
FRIDAY 9/15: Upper School Mary Schedule – Students will participate in community service projects throughout Anchorage.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Archbishop Etienne will say Mass for the school on Thursday, September 21st at 9:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- Parent Association Fundraiser – The HRA Parent Association will sponsor a Krispy Kreme Doughnut sale on Thursday, September 28th. Pre-order forms are available in the HRA Front Office. Order forms will go home with students on Friday, September 15th for those who have not already picked them up in the office. We encourage each family to sell at least three boxes of donuts as a part of this vital and painless Parent Association fundraiser. Be a hero to your work-mates by bringing warm Krispy Kreme Doughnuts on the morning of Thursday, Sept 28. Remember that early pre-orders make for an easy and organized pick-up when the doughnuts are delivered!
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Parishes – That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The Koop family as they experience health challenges
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
Expectant Mothers :
- Kinney (former HRA teacher)
- Bird (used to live on campus)
- Maisie Klocek, friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, Mrs. O’Neill’s mother