HRA WEEKLY UPDATES
3 SEPTEMBER 2016
Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- We are adding a new feature to the Weekly Update! From now on, you will get a short “Handbook Byte”, taken from the Parent/Student Handbook. The full handbook can be found on the Student Life page of, hraak.com, the school website. It is also available for download from the HRA Sycamore “Documents” tab.
- The schedule for soccer games has changed slightly from the printed calendar. Please consult the calendar on Sycamore or hraak.com for the most up to date information on school and HRA sports events.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- We would like to thank elementary parent, Gonzalez, and elementary grandparent, Mrs. Clark, for their help supervising After School Care last Friday when Mrs. Holder was out sick.
- We commend the Biegel family for their work at the Right to Life booth at the Alaska State Fair.
- Avoid foods with dyes in them. The foods with red dye are particularly bad for the child. Among other problems, it accelerates hyperactivity and an inability to concentrate in many children.
We have already noted the adverse effect of foods with strong red dyes on students who brought them to school as snacks or part of their lunches.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 8/29: Morning Assembly –
- Miss Neumayr thanked all the students for their prayers for her newest nephew, Ivan. He is on the mend, home, and thriving.
- Miss Neumayr went over the plan for the week and shared Mrs. Duncan’s message that she is doing well in the hospital.
TUESDAY 8/30: HRA Knights soccer game at Birchwood. (See Mr. Raygor’s Sports Page.)
THURSDAY 9/01: Holy Rosary Academy was blessed with a beautiful Mass with Rev. Archbishop Schwietz to celebrate the opening of a new school year. Fr. Mark Francis Manzano O.P. concelebrated. Seminarian and former student, Kevin Klump, was also in attendance, helping the Archbishop.
Students processed in and sat with their Campus Friends to make the day even more memorable. Dr. Walters played a beautiful organ piece on our new electronic keyboard for the procession. We would like to thank the following students for their special participation:
- Alex O’Neill (10th) – Altar Server
- John Lastimoso (10th) – Altar Server
- Elena Biegel (9th) – Reader
- Jacinta Grandel (10th) – Cantor
- Macklen Bell (9th) – Petitions
The Archbishop connected the gospel reading with a personal story of one of his own sacramentals, his pectoral cross, given to him by Pope St. John Paul II and engraved with “DUC IN ALTUM” (into the deep). He encouraged us all to make that a theme of our year, that we take our faith “into the deep” as we study and grow. The Archbishop also blessed the faculty as a part of the Mass.
After the Mass, everyone went out to the front of the campus for a group picture with the Archbishop at our new picket fence made by Stephen Woyte (10th). The students sang our signature ‘Russian Our Father’ at the request of Kevin Klump before the Archbishop blessed the classrooms that were being rededicated to new saints now that the music and art rooms have relocated to the upstairs of the Bosco Bldg.
- The music room remains dedicated to St. Cecilia.
- The art room remains dedicated to St. Catherine of Bologne.
- The 4th grade classroom is now dedicated to St. Hildegard of Bingen.
- The 2nd grade classroom is now dedicated to St. Theresa of Avila.
- The 1st grade classroom is again dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi.
FRIDAY 9/02: Upper School First Friday Schedule –
- 7th-12th grades attended all of their academic classes before spending an hour with the Blessed Sacrament in the JPII chapel.
FRIDAY 9/02: The 2nd & 3rd Grades enjoyed a retreat at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral led by Elise Zajicek, Youth Minister for St. Benedict parish. We would like to thank Mr. John Fleming for giving tours of the Co-cathedral with its new artwork, both this week and last week, as a part of these Lower School Retreats. We would also like to thank elementary parents, Mrs. Longlet and Mrs. Murray, for joining the retreats as extra chaperones.
FRIDAY 9/02: The 5th & 6th Grades spent the day at the Eagle River Nature Center as a part of their studies of geology and botany. They learned to recognize plants and rock formations on their hike through the Nature Center trails. We would like to thank HRA parents, Mr. Duryea, Mrs. Grandel, Mrs. Bratulescu, and Mr. Koop, for driving and providing extra supervision on this field trip.
Mr. Raygor’s Sports Page
Coed Prep Soccer: Holy Rosary Academy at Birchwood – 8/30/2016
Holy Rosary Academy 4- Birchwood 3
Holy Rosary Academy defeated Birchwood in a hard fought 4-3 match in Chugiak. Zach Smith (12th) led with two out of the four goals. Go Knights!
THE WEEK TO COME:
MONDAY 9/05: LABOR DAY, NO SCHOOL
TUESDAY 9/06: Morning Assembly in the St. Kolbe Lobby at 8:00 a.m. to allow for Picture Day in St. Dominic’s Hall
TUESDAY 9/06: PICTURE DAY! Send your children in their picture perfect dress uniforms.
TUESDAY 9/06: There will NOT be an Elementary Mass on Tuesday, because we do not have a priest available. Students will attend Mass on Thursday with the Upper School.
WEDNESDAY 9/07: The 1st Grade will go on a field trip to the fish hatchery.
WEDNESDAY 9/07: BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT –
- Lower School classes will host Back to School night from 6:00-8:00 p.m. for parents to visit classrooms and check-in with teachers to discuss how their children are settling into the school year.
- Upper School classes will run a simulation of the school day from 7:00-9:00 p.m. so that parents have the chance to experience a sample of their children’s day at HRA.
THURSDAY 9/08: 5th Grade Retreat at St. Andrew parish in Eagle River with Faith Formation Director, Mr. Ricky Shoop.
THURSDAY 9/08: All-School Mass with Fr. Manzano in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY-SATURDAY 9/08-10: The HRA Knights will compete in the TriValley Soccer Tournament in Healey, AK. The team will depart the HRA campus after their 4th period classes for the drive to Healey and return Saturday night. We would like to thank high school parent, Mrs. Bell, for procuring two 15 passenger vans to help transport the team.
FRIDAY 9/09: Upper School Mary Schedule – Students will wear their dress uniforms.
- 7th-12th grades will attend their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd period classes.
- During the Afternoon Activity, students will work on Homeroom auction projects and make rosaries.
FRIDAY 9/09: 4th Grade Retreat at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral
FRIDAY 9/09: 2nd Grade farm field trip
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Mid-quarter Progress Reports will be sent home with students on Wednesday, September 14th.