Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Parking in the East Parking Lot: The five parking spaces closest to Fireweed Ln, both facing the Bosco Bldg. and facing the American Legion, are reserved for the patients and staff of Fresh Dental. Please use the parking spaces closer to 25th Thank you.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for subbing Dr. Walters’ classes on Friday.
- Thank you to Bella van Tets (11th) and Grace Woyte (10th) for babysitting during the Parent Association Meeting on Thursday evening.
ATTENTION PARENTS OF GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS:
All parents of graduating seniors are encouraged to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible even if your child has not yet applied for colleges as this early application can help to open up better chances for help from the Federal Government or from the college itself. Be sure to have your tax documents from last year on hand as they will help the process go fairly quickly.
RECRUIT ME! – Let faithful Catholic colleges compete for you!
The Cardinal Newman Society, makers of the Newman Guide to Catholic colleges launching a new program to help Catholic families connect with faithful Catholic colleges. Just forward our Recruit Me link to the college bound high school junior or senior in your life. By signing up for Recruit Me, students also become eligible to enter the Newman Society Essay Contest for a chance to win a $5,000 scholarship to help pay for tuition at a Newman Guide college.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling King of the Mountain meet in Seward, AK – Congratulations to Michael Lucas (12th) for his 5-0 win in the 160# category at the Valdez wrestling meet on October 28th & 29th. He was voted King of the Mountain, top wrestler of the meet. Thomas Biegel (11th) had an excellent weekend, wrestling 2-3.
- Team Captain, Stephen Hart (5th), reported that the 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team defeated Anchorage Christian in a 30-13 match last weekend. Go Knights!
- Upcoming Basketball Games –
- The HRA Knights will play against the St. John basketball team on Tuesday, 11/7 at 7:00 p.m. at St. John Orthodox Christian School.
- We will host Faith Lutheran at the AT&T Sports Pavilion at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, 11/10.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 10/30: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Happy All Saints and All Souls to everyone this week!
- Commendations and thanks to everyone for such excellent Don Rags and Parent/Teacher Conferences. The teachers offered wonderful supportive feedback.
- Miss Neumayr read a thank you cards from the staff at Catholic Relief Services and Mrs. Flint at Holy Family Cathedral for students who helped them on the last community service. HRA Upper School students continue to impress the people of Anchorage whenever they are out serving the community. Go Knights!
- Congratulations to Jasser Majewsky (11th) who was recognized with an Award of Excellence for his participation in the Congress of Future Science and Technology Leaders in Boston, Massachusetts last summer.
- Congratulations to Jon Syren (12th) this year’s UA Scholar for Holy Rosary Academy. The UA Scholars Program awards a $12,000 scholarship to the top 10% of Alaskan high school graduates each year, which covers 50% of their annual tuition costs for four years of undergraduate study at the University of Alaska. Senior, Atlin Bell, is also a recipient of the award through his dual enrollment in the PACE program. We are very proud of all of our scholars.
MONDAY 10/30: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 5th Grade and talked with them about the Catholic traditions and history of Halloween, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day, and explained indulgences.
TUESDAY 10/31: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule before the All Saints Festival.
TUESDAY 10/31: All Saints Festival – We had an incredible crowd at the All Saints Festival. We thank everyone who came and endured the limited seating in order to support our young performers. We also thank and commend the young men of the high school who gave up their seats to parents and guests. The 1st Grade opened the event by entering St. Dominic’s Hall with the chorus of “When the Saints Go Marching In” before Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. led the opening prayer. 1st Grade then sang a song about St. Dominic. 6th Grade performed a shadow play that required the audience to recognize and guess the saint based on select gospel stories of…St. Peter. The Kindergarten acted and sang lessons about the three cities most important to the life of Jesus. 11th Grade performed the story of St. Martin de Porres. 3rd Grade told the story of St. Faustina. 5th Grade taught us all about Bl. Pierre Giorgio. 2nd Grade recounted the life of St. Mungo. 4th Grade introduced everyone to St. Sergius of Russia. 7th Grade recounted the tale of St. Tarcisius. 9th Grade depicted significant moments in the life of St. John the Apostle. 10th Grade enacted a story of Sts. Constantine & Helena. 8th Grade depicted St. Scholastica and 12th Grade ended the show with a humorous skit about St. Benedict. Thank you to Mrs. Cagle and Mrs. Marquez for providing homemade cookies and hot cocoa after the festival.
WEDNESDAY 11/1: Everyone enjoyed the Feast of All Saints at home with their families.
THURSDAY 11/2: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the All School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall with Br. Joshua also in attendance. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Alexander O’Neill (11th) & Thomas Biegel (11th)
- Readers: John Lastimoso (11th) & Savio Le (11th)
- Psalm: Ashley Stephens (10th)
- Cantor: Jon Syren (12th)
THURSDAY 11/2: 2nd Parent Association Meeting – The Parent Association met in the Kolbe Lobby from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The meeting agenda and State of the School Address are available in the HRA Sycamore Documents Tab. Thank you to all those parents who joined us. Thank you to our student babysitters, Bella van Tets (11th) and Grace Woyte (10th) as well.
FRIDAY 1/3: The 1st Grade went to the Anchorage Center for the Performing Arts to see Journey to Oz. Thank you to Mr. Patton for driving the students to the performance in the school bus.
FRIDAY 1/3: The Upper School followed the First Friday Schedule. High School students went to the cemetery downtown to pray for the dead in honor of the Feast of All Souls the previous day, while the Jr. High prayed a Holy Hour in the JPII Chapel with Mrs. Bolin. Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for subbing for Dr. Walters and supervising the Jr. High Holy Hour. Thank you to Mr. Hodgson, Miss Morris, Mr. Murray, and Mr. Welsh for chaperoning the cemetery trip.
THE WEEK TO COME
SUNDAY 11/5: End of Daylight Savings Time. Set clocks back one hour.
MONDAY 11/6: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 11/6: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be observing the 11th Grade Morality class.
TUESDAY 11/7: Elementary Mass – 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Brosamer.
TUESDAY 11/7: Class Picture Day – Classes will pose for group pictures in St. Dominic’s Hall in the morning. Students who were not present for Picture Day in September will be able to pose for portrait make-ups and students may pose for portrait retakes, if they bring their original pictures to the LifeTouch photographer.
THURSDAY 11/9: There will be a Board of Trustees meeting in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library, 7-9 a.m.
THURSDAY 11/9: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m. Confession will be offered before Mass.
FRIDAY 11/10: In-Service Day – NO CLASSES, students will have class work to complete at home while the faculty has professional training.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Thursday-Friday, November 16th-17th: Upper School Retreats – High School students will go to St. Theresa’s Camp for an overnight retreat. High will have two days of retreat during school hours only.
- Thanksgiving holiday – There will be NO SCHOOL November 23rd & 24th.
The Holy Father’s Prayer Intentions for November:
Christians in Asia
That Christians in Asia, bearing witness to the Gospel in word and deed, may promote dialogue, peace, and mutual understanding, especially with those of other religions.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Bird (former tenant) recovering from surgery
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Mrs. Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Mrs. Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)