Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The Advent Giving Tree is in the Kolbe Lobby. All hats, gloves, socks, and scarves that go on the tree will be donated to Clare House residents for Christmas.
- END OF 2ND QUARTER – Wednesday, December 20th. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE.
- Student Report Cards will be mailed home during the Christmas vacation.
- CALENDAR REMINDER: The Christmas vacation is Thursday, Dec. 21 – Wednesday, Jan. 3. School resumes for HRA on Thursday, January 4th. Please alert the Front Office if your child will be missing school due to this error so they can be excused.
- Mrs. Diane Fleming was scheduled to be removed from life support on Friday, December 15th. The thoughts and prayers of the whole HRA community go out to the Fleming family in their time of sorrow.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mitchell Marquez (9th) and Macklen Bell (10th) who spent their afternoon of campus stewardship cleaning out the recess shed and chair shed on Friday, 12/15.
- Thank you to Mrs. Stevens for the delicious muffins she baked for the faculty on Friday, 12/15.
- Michael Lucas (12th) represents the HRA High School Boys’ Wrestling Team this weekend at the State Tournament at the Alaska Airlines Center. Everyone is invited to cheer him on as he battles for his third State Title this evening at 7:30 p.m. Go Knights!
- We are very excited to see so much interest in Middle School In-door Soccer and High School Track. These are co-ed leagues, so all interested boys & girls are welcome to join. If your child picked-up a soccer or track packet this week, please make sure to turn in the completed forms & fees to the Front Office by Tuesday, December 19th.
- 5th-8th Grade Co-ed Volleyball, 5th-8th Grade Co-ed In-door Soccer, and 9th-12th Grade Co-ed Track practices begin in January. Students must have forms and fees turned in before they may participate. Please contact Mrs. Curran or Mr. Taylor if you have any questions or concerns.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 12/11: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- We are in the second week of Advent. Let us follow the Gospel advice of St. John the Baptist, wait and watch.
- Please pray for all the people affected by the California fires. Particularly the Thomas Fire, named after Thomas Aquinas College which had been threatened so closely by the fire.
- Thank you to the 2nd Grade for so considerately writing thank you notes to their field trip hosts and guest speakers, most recently the Bird TLC presenters from the previous week.
- The school received a thank you letter from Henry Kapeero, the student HRA has sponsored in Lugazi, Uganda through the Caritas for Children program.
- Miss Bluhm, the former 6th Grade teacher, wrote to wish us well and let us know that she is now teaching at St. Paul Catholic School in Pensacola, FL as they transition to a classical curriculum.
- We ask everyone to pray for our former chaplain, Fr. Fisher as he recovers from knee replacement surgery.
- Please also pray for Archbishop emeritus, Roger Schweitz as her prepares for his 50th anniversary in the priesthood December 20th.
MONDAY 12/11: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 7th Grade to discuss the Cardinal Virtues.
TUESDAY 12/12: The 3rd-12th Grades participated in their first round of Catholic Math League’s Mathfax competition. This is the first year that Holy Rosary Academy has participated in this national math competition. We will participate in a total of three math tests throughout the winter. The students with the top three scores will be recognized at the end of the school year.
TUESDAY 12/12: Fr. Robert Whitney presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Whitney. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Earthen Le (6th)
- Prayer Leader: Mason Nguyen (6th)
- Reader: Stephen Hart (6th)
- Psalm: Arabella Allen (6th)
- Petitions: Andrew Duryea (6th)
WEDNESDAY 12/13: The Dominican chaplains came to the campus to hear Elementary Confessions in the afternoon. We are so very grateful. All three Dominican priests came, so all the Elementary student who is eligible for the sacrament was able to go to Confession. Thank you to Fr. Steve, Fr. Christopher, and Fr. Dominic David.
THURSDAY 12/14: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard Confessions for the 12th Grade before the Upper School Mass. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Alexander O’Neill (10th)
- Reader: Atlin Bell (12th)
- Cantor: Ashley Stephens (10th)
- Petitions: Michael Lucas (12th)
FRIDAY 12/15: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule in the morning and then spent the afternoon decorating the campus for the coming of Christmas.
FRIDAY12/15: The 5th & 6th Grades enjoyed a colonial American history presentation featuring costumed presenters. Thank you to Upper School parents, Mr. & Mrs. Ford, for sharing their time and knowledge.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 12/18: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 12/18: Upper School Exams – The students will take exams for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Period classes.
MONDAY 12/18: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 5th Grade.
TUESDAY 12/19: Upper School Exams – The students will take exams for their 4th, 6th, and 5th Period classes.
TUESDAY 12/19: Br. Joshua will visit 3rd Grade in the morning.
TUESDAY 12/19: Mrs. Curran will be on campus during lunch to collect sports packets for HS Track or JH In-door Soccer.
TUESDAY 12/19: K-12 Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:45 a.m. with Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P.
WEDNESDAY 12/20: The Advent Brunch for grades K-12 and families, 9-11 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
WEDNESDAY 12/20: The Upper School caroling trip, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 12/20: 1:00 P.M. DISMISSAL – THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE
THURSDAY 12/21: CHRISTMAS VACATION BEGINS – Have a wonderful holiday!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- 3RD QUARTER BEGINS THURSDAY, JANUARY 4TH.
Holy Father’s Intentions: December
That the elderly, sustained by families and Christian communities, may apply their wisdom and experience to spreading the faith and forming the new generations.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), having a risky surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters (suffering severe back pain after a fall on the ice)
- Mrs. Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Mrs. Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Mrs. Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)