Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- HRA parents are invited to join parents, Carole Hart and Virginia Marquez, in a Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3:00 p.m. each school day in the school’s chapel. They plan to pray together just before school dismissal each day for the intentions and needs of the school and the whole community. Please feel free to join them by coming just a few minutes early for student pick-up. Thank you to Carole and Virginia for beginning such a beautiful prayer opportunity for the HRA family!
- The annual 40 Days for Life campaign to end abortion has begun. This year, from September 27 through November 5th, the Anchorage pro-life community will take part in prayer and peaceful demonstration to end abortion. *This will be included in the Upper School Community Service projects next Friday, October 20th. Parents are welcome to attend.
- Auction results will be announced in the next Weekly Update. Thank you to everyone for your hard work and support of the 25th HRA Auction Gala in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the school.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make our 25th Auction Gala in celebration of HRA’s 30th Anniversary such a success. The Auction Committee members are: Alison Smith, Jackie Rose, Ann Neavill, Rebecca Jemmings, Allison Dixon, and Gabrielle Bryant. We also thank Kristina Johannes for her work in selling auction tables and the High School students for their help at the auction on Saturday night.
- Thank you to Mrs. Leinon, Mrs. Bryant, and Mrs. Syren for subbing in the Front Office and After School Care for Mrs. Holder on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- Thank you to Mr. Hodgson for subbing Mr. Murray’s class and Mrs. Cookson for subbing Miss Morris’ class on Friday.
- Thank you to Mrs. Dixon for helping supervise Kindergarten on Friday morning.
- Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for helping in the Front Office and Used Uniform Store on Friday afternoon.
- We have a solid middle school basketball team! Thank you to HRA parent volunteer, Mark Smith, for coaching the boys. Go Knights!
- The High School Girls’ Volleyball Team has been cancelled. We will try again next year.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling season has begun. Michael Lucas (12th) and Thomas Biegel (11th) went to Houston for a wrestling meet this Friday and Saturday. Results will be announced at the Monday Assembly and posted in the next Weekly Update. Go Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 10/9: We hope everyone enjoyed the extra day off in celebration of Columbus Day.
TUESDAY 10/10: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr distributed the remaining rosaries to new students and teachers who had not been present for the Living Rosary last Friday.
- Soccer Team Captain, John Lastimoso (11th), reported the results of the High School Soccer Tournament. HRA placed 6th, with two losses. The team played well and continues to build upon skills they learned during the season.
- Miss Neumayr updated the school community on the progress of disaster recovery in Houston, TX and other cities hit by disasters this fall. Students were reminded of the important role our prayers take in helping people recover, no matter how far away we are.
- We congratulated Lucy Jenkins-Roberson (2nd) and her family, who were recently blessed with a new baby boy.
TUESDAY 10/10: Fr. Whitney presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Whitney. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Stephen Hart (6th)
- First Reading: Jennifer Lederhos (6th)
- Psalm: Amarisa Manuel (6th)
- Petitions: Verity Pendergast (6th)
- Prayer Leader before and after Mass: Mason Nguyen (6th)
WEDNESDAY 10/18: The 9th-11th Grades took the PSAT in St. Dominic’s Hall from 8:00-11:30 a.m. Thank you to Miss Neumayr and Mrs. Furby for proctoring the exam. High School Seniors were given the privilege of a late start to the morning while rest of the High School took the exam.
WEDNESDAY 10/11: The 4th Grade enjoyed a field trip to the Anchorage Museum of History and Art for the second half of the school day. Thank you to HRA parents, Mrs. Broek and Mrs. Denzer, for joining the class to drive and chaperone for the trip.
THURSDAY 10/12: Fr. Christopher Brannon O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Chirstopher. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Joshua Fouch (7th)
- Readers: Lydia Bedinger-Farriols (9th) & Amber Salvador (9th)
- Cantor: Dr. Walters
FRIDAY 10/13: The 4th Grade enjoyed a retreat at Holy Family Cathedral led by Miss Ramos (’13) and Mrs. Welsh. We thank Fr. Whitney for offering Confession and Miss Neumayr for driving the bus.
FRIDAY 10/13: 11th & 12th Grades went to the UAA library in the morning to work on their research projects for their Composition classes. Thank you to Miss Neumayr, Miss Morris, and Mr. Murray for supervising the trip.
FRIDAY 10/13: The Upper School followed a Joseph schedule in the morning then divided into three groups for the afternoon. The High School Drama class took advantage of a two hour rehearsal in St. Dominic’s hall. The remaining High School students watched Renaissance Man in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library under the supervision of Miss Neumayr and parent volunteers, Mrs. Bratulescu and Mrs. Syren. The Jr. High enjoyed It’s a Wonderful Life under the supervision of HRA parent, Mrs. Krol, and HRA grandparent, Mrs. Alvarado, many of the students had never before seen this classic film. Thank you to all the parents who helped with supervision.
SATURDAY 10/14: HRA Auction Gala at the downtown Marriott Hotel at 6:00 p.m.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 10/16: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 10/16: 11th & 12th Grades will go on a field trip to the college fair at the UAA Alaska Airlines Center from 8:30 a.m. to noon.
TUESDAY 10/17: Faculty Appreciation Luncheon – Mexican themed menu
TUESDAY 10/17: Elementary Mass with Fr. Patrick Brosamer in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 10/18: Pizza Day
THURSDAY 10/19: 3rd & 4th Grades will go on a field trip to hike the McHugh Creek Trail. Class parents are welcome and encouraged to join them for this great autumn adventure.
THURSDAY 10/19: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 10/20: 1st Quarter ends October 20th.
FRIDAY 10/20: 5th Grade Retreat at Holy Family Cathedral
FRIDAY 10/20: Jr. High Parent/Teacher Conferences – Jr. High Teachers will be available in their classrooms from 1:00-3:00 p.m. for parents to drop in to discuss student study skills, habits, and performance in the First Quarter. Jr. High Parents are strongly encouraged to drop in to talk with their children’s teachers on this Friday, between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. No appointments necessary for Jr. High Parents.
FRIDAY 10/20: Upper School Mary Schedule – Students will participation in community service projects around Anchorage. SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: We are in need of parents to drive and supervise the Upper School students on community service projects, so the Upper School teachers can be available to meet with Jr. High Parents for conferences.
SATURDAY 10/21: The High School Seniors are hosting a Fall Dance for all Upper School students in St. Dominic’s Hall, 7:00-10:00 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Don Rags for the High School will take place October 24th-27th. Noon dismissal for Upper School 10/24-26. No classes for K-12 on 10/27. (Student ISD)
- Elementary Parent/Teacher Conferences will take place October 26th & 27th. Noon dismissal for K-6 on 10/26. No classes for K-12 on 10/27 (Student ISD)
- NO SCHOOL on Wednesday, November 1st in observance of All Saints Day.
- The second Parent Association Meeting is scheduled for 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 2nd in the Kolbe Lobby. Babysitting will be provided in the After School Care room.
- Daylight Savings Time ends on Sunday, November 5th. Remember to set your clocks back for a timely arrival to school on Monday morning.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
(October) Workers and the Unemployed.
That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Bird (former tenant) recovering from surgery
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their Jr. High soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- TiArthur Brookwell, to avoid infection while he has stitches in his forehead
- Anndawnika Neavill, suffering severe respiratory illness
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Denzer (HRA parent)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)