Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The first Parent Association Meeting will be held on Monday, August 28th at 6:30 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Meet the P.A. Board and faculty, learn about the Krispy Kreme fundraiser, pick up your raffle tickets, sign up for auction duties, and learn more about Share Hour Opportunities throughout the school year.
- Babysitting will be provided in the After Care Room.
- HRA is in need of particular auction assistance:
- Miles for two round trip airline tickets (fulfills auction obligation)
- Time Share accommodations (fulfills auction obligation)
- Auction Table sponsorship (fulfills auction obligation)
- Donation of new electronics
- Donation of oysters (for a catered event)
- Parent Association Fundraiser – The HRA Parent Association will sponsor a Krispy Kreme Doughnut sale on Wednesday, September 27th.
- Voice & Piano Lessons – Our former music teacher, Mrs. Duncan, is offering individual voice or piano lessons after school in the St. Cecilia Music Room from 3:15-3:45 p.m. Contact Mrs. Duncan at email@example.com to make arrangements.
- PICTURE DAY IS THE DAY AFTER LABOR DAY!
- Is your 5th-8th grade student interested in learning to play soccer? Coach Terry Curran has invited students who want to learn the game to join them for either competitive or non-competitive play.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to everyone for a great first week of school!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 8/21: Our first Morning Assembly focused on welcoming everyone back to school!
- Former teacher, Braunlich, was present for the assembly with her family to greet the returning students and introduce their son, John Francis, while they were visiting family and friends in Alaska.
- Miss Neumayr introduced all the new teachers on staff this year.
- All the new students were introduced and assigned student mentors to guide them through the first week of school.
- Our new soccer coach, Terry Curran, invited all interested students in grades 5-12 to join the soccer team. He particularly encouraged students in grades 5-8 to consider two possible ways to participate in the soccer program. Students may learn skills through practice and non-competitive play or join the team to play against other schools.
- Miss Neumayr thanked the people who volunteered so much of their time helping the school over the summer, particularly Miss DiCiero, Mr. Taylor, Mrs. Furby, Joseph Bjelland (11th), Eric Bjelland (’17), the Stephens family, and Alex O’Neill (11th).
- Miss Neumayr shared letters of greeting and thanks that arrived over the summer:
- The staff of Sockeye Business Solutions wrote a thank you card to last year’s Jr. High Girls’ Homeroom for the delightful baked goods they made as a contribution to the last school auction.
- Former teacher, Selene Viens, sent a post card from her family vacation in Hawaii, greeting everyone at HRA and sharing the news that she is now happily married and thinks of us often.
- Former student, Sophia Metras (8th), sent a post card from her new home in Syracuse, NY.
- The Novices and Novice Master of the Western Dominic Province who visited Anchorage and Holy Rosary Academy over the summer wrote to thank HRA for the enjoyable barbeque held in their honor.
- Miss Neumayr asked everyone to offer some of their prayers this year for the Novices and seminarians, particularly HRA’s own Kevin Klump, who is preparing for the deaconate.
- Miss Neumayr warned the students that the coffee kiosk on our parking lot is closed while it is for sale. Students will have to make sure to pack their lunches while the coffee kiosk is closed until new owners are ready for business. This make take a couple months or more.
- At the end of the assembly, Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. blessed the students and faculty with prayers for a successful new school year.
WEDNESDAY 8/23: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 3rd-6th grade classes to discuss the topic of virtue and holiness as a part of the new theology program used in the Upper Elementary grades this year. The students will study a different virtue each week of the school year.
THURSDAY 8/24: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the first All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Alexander O’Neill (11th) & John Lastimoso (11th)
- Reader: Drew Benton (12th)
- Cantor: Welsh
- Petitions: Jon Syren (12th)
FRIDAY 8/25: Grades K-12 came together for an afternoon of games and comradery. Thank you to Mr. Welsh for organizing another exciting scavenger hunt, Miss Ramos, for leading ice breaker games, Mrs. O’Neill for leading Pictionary, Dr. Walters, Mr. Hodgson, & Miss Morris for leading team charades, Miss Logsdail for entertaining students with Shel Silverstein poetry, Mrs. Pearce for organizing competitive tower building games, and all the teachers who kept the afternoon running smoothly.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 8/28: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 8/28: 1st Parent Association Meeting – 6:30 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
TUESDAY 8/29: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Ken Bolin
WEDNESDAY 8/30: Middle School Soccer Game vs. Anchor Lutheran – 4:30 p.m. at Kincaid Park
THURSDAY 8/31: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m. with Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P.
THURSDAY 8/31: High School Soccer Game vs. Birchwood – 4:30 p.m. at Kincaid Park
FRIDAY 9/1: Kindergarten Retreat – Kindergarten will go on retreat to Holy Family Cathedral for the day.
FRIDAY 9/1: Upper School First Friday Schedule with Adoration in the JPII Chapel
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
LABOR DAY – There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, September 4th in observance of Labor Day.
PICTURE DAY – Individual student portraits will be taken on Tuesday, September 5th. These pictures will be used for the yearbook and student ID’s. Help your children look sharp for picture day!
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT is Wednesday, September 13th!