1 APRIL 2015
- Student Presentations went very well. The faculty and administration appreciates how well prepared the students were to share their knowledge with their parents.
- Senior, Anna Jemmings received word that she was accepted to Wheaton College. Congratulations Anna!
- Freshman, Michael Lucas took 7th place at the 26th Annual NHSCA National High School Wrestling Championships in Virginia Beach. He is now ranked in the All-American Top Ten.
- FRIDAY: The Indoor Soccer Team played well against Lumen Christi. Their last tournament will be Friday, April 10th from 5-7p.m. Please plan to go cheer for our young knights.
- SATURDAY: Miss Neumayr, with the help of Miss Verreux, Mrs. Shaut, Matthew Lastimoso, Alexander O’Neill, and Sophia Rose, represented Holy Rosary Academy at the Independent Schools Fair. Miss Neumayr extends her thanks to everyone who helped.
- MONDAY: Monday Morning Assembly – Mrs. O’Neil’s 6th grade class showed everyone the clothes and gifts they picked out for baby Caroline Coldiron as a part of their Lenten alms-giving project while Miss Neumayr told the HRA students and faculty about a recent visit with Mrs. Coldiron and shared pictures of the baby. Our appreciation goes out to the 6th grade for remembering their Christian duty to care for widows and orphans.
- TUESDAY: There was no elementary Mass this week due to the demands upon the priests during Holy Week.
- WEDNESDAY: UPPER SCHOOL had a Special Schedule in order to enjoy an All-Student Seminar during the afternoon. The 7th – 12th grades were divided into three mixed groups to discuss “The Bet”, a short story by Anton Chekhov, which asks the reader to consider the question of engaging in the life of the mind through the reading of books vs. participating in the world.
- WEDNESDAY: 6th grade hosted Student Olympic Games for the 2nd grade. Students ran the Olympic torch (cleverly disguised as a pinwheel) around the campus before the opening ceremonies in St. Dominic’s Hall. The five events of the games were the obstacle course, the Frisbee-discus, the hula-hoop/javelin, jump rope hurdles, and the sidewalk dash. Overall winners were: Carlos Stevens – gold; Christopher Sanchez – silver; and Andrew Hanson – bronze. It was delightful to share the event with parents from both grades as well.
- WEDNESDAY: Mrs. Williams’ 5th grade class observed a seder luncheon. The class enjoyed a replication of the Jewish Passover feast full of symbolic foods; ancient traditions; breaking bread together; and lots of lamb and cake.
- THURSDAY – FRIDAY: NO SCHOOL ON HOLY THURSDAY OR GOOD FRIDAY.
Free girl’s shoes available!
*Note to families: The Koop family has several pairs of HRA-appropriate girl’s outdoor play shoes and gym shoes in sizes 1-3 to give away. Anyone interested in planning ahead for uniforms next year, please contact Drew & Marcie Koop at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MONDAY 4/6: NO SCHOOL ON EASTER MONDAY
- TUESDAY 4/7: “Monday Morning Assembly” The week will begin with our K-12 assembly even though it is Tuesday.
- WEDNESDAY 4/8: SAFE ENVIRONMENT UPDATE: Mr. Fleming will be visiting classes throughout the day to give the annual diocesan Safe Environment training for students. As always you, the parents have the right to attend the presentation with your child or ask that your child be excused from attending the Safe Environment presentation should you have any concerns about the subject matter.
- THURSDAY 4/9: Upper School Mass at 10:15 a.m. in the JPII chapel; all parents welcome.
- THURSDAY 4/9: Elementary/Upper School Faculty Meetings – The teachers will be unavailable after 3:30p.m.
- THURSDAY 4/9: Parent Association meeting 6:30-7:30 p.m. This fourth and final meeting for parents will be held in the Kolbe lobby. The Parent Association team will fill-in parents in hopes to make 4th quarter smooth and enjoyable. Babysitting is provided.
- FRIDAY 4/10: Upper School Joseph Day – Community Service in the afternoon.
- FRIDAY-SATURDAY 4/10-11: The In-door Soccer season ends with the tournament April 10th & 11th.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Jr. High (5th-8th) Track season will run Monday, April 13th to Saturday, May 9th. Please contact Maureen Klump: 223-2120 or email@example.com if your child is interested in joining the track team.
- High School Thesis Schedule:
Tues, 4/14, 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Juniors: Arianna Fouch, Heather Seibs, Joseph Kemper
Wednes, 4/15, 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Juniors: Caitriona McMorrow, Sarah Lucas, Monica Klump
7:00-9:00 p.m. – Seniors: Anne-Marie Droege, Anna Jemmings
Thurs, 4/16, 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Juniors: Patrick Droege, Richard Maloy
7:00-9:00 p.m. – Seniors: Victoria Zipay, Jessica Smith
Fri, 4/17, 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Juniors: Therese Knox, Sang Nguyen
7:00-9:00 p.m. – Seniors: Lee Cookson, Robert Kemper, Karina Biegel
- Miss Verreux’s 1st grade class has reached their goal of collecting 500 cans of food to donate to FISH Food Pantry during Lent! The class will enjoy a field trip delivering them to the Food Pantry on Friday, April 17th. Check Miss Verreux’s class newsletter for details. A permission slip will go home with the 1st graders in the near future.
- CORRECTION TO THE CALENDAR: The Festival of Poetry & Song has been rescheduled to THURSDAY, APRIL 30TH rather than Friday, May 1st. The location remains St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall and the arrival time for students remains 6:30 p.m.
- ATTENTION FAMILIES! – CENTURION FUND RAISER:
The administration is preparing the second round of Centurion mailings. This is a wonderful time to submit new contacts for HRA’s annual pledge drive.
- We are beginning to gear up for the annual Greek & Roman Festival on Friday, April 24th. Parents interested in helping with this event can contact Robyn Woyte or Ingrid Carlson. Details related to the event schedule and potluck will go home with your children after the Easter Break.
- Supporters of the new Radio Station may be interested in seeing a recording of Mario Bird’s performance from the La Bella Brigata Dinner on Thursday, March 19th. The 25 minute clip can be viewed on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/eRYf433DPBQ