Dear HRA family and friends,
What a week we have had! The Monday holiday brought much needed rest to all. Tuesday brought our own Fr. James Barrand back for a lovely all-school mass. Fr. James Barrand will say Tuesday masses at 10:10 A.M. in the school chapel and the Dominicans will come on Thursdays to say masses in the chapel also at 10:10 A.M. Parents and friends of HRA are always welcome to join us.
The soccer team enjoyed their first win of the season. Bravo to Jamie Cookson and Michael Tappel for scoring!
Then, the wind came and school was cancelled. Thank you to Miss Shanstrom and Miss DiCiero for sending out emails and communicating the word so quickly. REMEMBER that whenever ASD cancels school, Holy Rosary Academy does as well. We will post the cancellation on Sycamore and our school website.
Thursday brought Back-to-School Night. Though lightly attended, we were so happy to have a chance to talk more intimately with the parents. Thank you to all the teachers for prepping their classrooms and presentations for the event!
Krispy Kreme Fundraiser Friday was a great success! Bravo to Parent Association President, Karin Owens, for orchestrating such a successful event. Thank you to the many parent volunteers who helped sell boxes, pick up boxes, and distribute boxes. Mr. Ramos, Mrs. Swanson, Mrs. Cookson, Mrs. Tobia, and Mr. Williams are to be particularly commended for their hard work to make this event go so well. Thank you to all the parents who participated in this fun event. We sold out thanks especially to the Cookson’s/Tobias/Goorchenkos for selling 47 boxes, the Manu family for 33 boxes, the Lastimoso family for selling 30 boxes, the Jemmings family for selling 24 boxes, and the Williams’ family for selling eighteen. Every bit counted from all the family.
Thank you to Mr. Volk, a nutritionist, who came to speak to grades 7-12 on proper eating habits. He was a bit too political in discouraging the consumption of meat and fish but according to our Anatomy Teacher, Mrs. Erin Furby, his data and facts were accurate. It was a healthy session for the students to enjoy. The whole school then made their first Friday trip to adoration. The High School went to Holy Family Cathedral and the elementary went to the chapel.
Perhaps the most exciting of our abbreviated week was the appearance of our beloved Mr. and Mrs. Shaut. Mr. Shaut is up and walking and anxious to come see his HRA children. He looks great. Mrs. Shaut will be rejoining the school for morning classes as Mr. Shaut continues to recover. Keep up the prayers as it is truly a miracle to have Mr. Shaut up and walking so soon!
A special shout out of gratitude to Mr. and Mrs. Tobia for continuing to keep up the landscaping though alumna, Michelle, is a freshman at Benedictine College! Thank you for your loyalty and love. Thank you also to the father of first grader, Amarisa Manuel, who added lights this weekend to the Kolbe building so that our first and second grade can enjoy a well lit hallway. Many thanks!
Next week is another busy one. Some important events are:
1) Soccer games Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. See online calendar for times.
2) All School Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe with Archbishop Schwietz at 9:00 A.M. Parent drivers are needed to help transport. Another share hour opportunity!
3) Mrs. Pearce would like help from a parent who would be able to spray paint leaves for the auction. You may come to school to help her or take the materials home to do it on your own time. Contact Miss Neumayr if you can help. You may also call Mrs. Pearce at 229-9495 to speak to her directly.
5) Alaska Theatre of Youth is inviting any HRA student to join an Improvisation class given by Miss Danielle DiCiero (our own Office Manager) for FREE. The classes will be Saturdays in the month of September. All grades welcome. See Miss DiCiero for more details.
6) Mrs. Mary Louise Rasmuson’s funeral this Monday, September 10 at 2:00 P.M. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish. Jacob Owens, Patrick Droege, and Lee Cookson will serve mass and Jamie Cookson, Marisa Ramos, Michael Tappel, Reagan Biegel and Justin Klump will sing with the Anchorage Choir as representatives of HRA. Please pray for the repose of her soul.
Have a wonderful week to all of the HRA extended family. You are never far from our thoughts and prayers!
Miss Catherine Neumayr, Principal