1 MAY 2015
- Congratulations to 2nd grader, Cameron Dixon, who received his First Communion during the Saturday evening Mass at SEAS; 11th graders: Patrick Droege, Joseph Kemper, Monica Klump, and Sang Nguyen, who were Confirmed into the Catholic Church at the Tuesday evening Mass at SEAS.
- Kindergartener, Erik Shawcross, participated in the Alaska State Championship for Tae Kwon Do, winning a Gold medal in Forms; a Silver in Sparring; and a Bronze in Breaking. He has now qualified for the National Tournament in Texas this July. HRA will root for you this summer, Erik!
- 1st Grader, Belicia Manuel, and 3rd grader, Amarisa Manuel, took 3rd place and 2nd place respectively at their wrestling tournament over the weekend.
- 11th grader, Sarah Lucas, won the Long Jump and Triple Jump at the last track meet.
- MONDAY: Monday Morning Assembly
- TUESDAY: All of the students worked together for the afternoon to rehearse for the Festival of Poetry & Song. When students were not needed to rehearse, they were able to enjoy one of the first afternoons of this quarter that truly felt like spring out in the play yard. It was a joy to be out in the warm sunshine.
- WEDNESDAY: The Open House was quite a success. Our thanks to the parents, students and faculty who offered up their evening to help give tours and welcome the families who came to visit. Many hands made great work.
- THURSDAY: Thank you, Fr. Augustine for saying Mass for everyone. Your homily was filled with wonderful insight and advice about seeking spiritual direction.
- THURSDAY: The Festival of Poetry & Song was a great success. The students performed beautifully. Mrs. Duncan and Dr. Walters also shared their beautiful voices and the faculty surprised everyone with a comedic scene from William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. We sincerely appreciate everyone who helped to set up Deacons Hall and who stayed afterward to make sure everything was set the way the parish would need it the following day. Mr. Patton was kind enough to transport the school’s risers to and from St. Patrick’s. Rosa Salazar made herself available to help families register for the Anchorage Charity Walk. Mrs. Tappel tirelessly stayed to make sure everything was locked up securely after supervising the preparation and reception. There were so many generous helpers that it is impossible to name each one!
- FRIDAY: We were so privileged to have Fr. Augustine on campus all afternoon to offer Benediction in St. Dominic’s Hall so that everyone could observe a First Friday Holy Hour
- FRIDAY: Fr. Augustine stayed to say the blessing and opening prayers for the May Crowning at 2:00 p.m. It was so delightful to have such beautiful weather that we could enjoy the ceremony outside next to the chapel.
- SATURDAY: The Upper School enjoyed their evening of dancing and games at their Carnival Night themed prom.
- MONDAY 5/4: Monday Morning Assembly; all parents welcome.
- MONDAY – THURSDAY 5/4-7: Elementary SCANTRON testing
- TUESDAY 5/5: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. Parents are always welcome to join us for Mass.
- THURSDAY 5/7: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m. Parents are always welcome to join us for Mass.
- FRIDAY 5/8: Jr. High SCANTRON begins
- FRIDAY 5/8: Upper School Mary Schedule: Stewardship Day
- FRIDAY 5/8: Charity Walk – GO TEAM HOLY ROSARY ACADEMY! HRA has, for the past several years, entered a team into the Alaska Visitor Industry Charity Walk coming this May 8th. WE NEED YOU TO WALK WITH US! The event is always lots of fun with students and parents walking with friends and teachers, nibbling on treats from various downtown restaurants, and chances to win fantastic prizes at the end of route WOW event. So far, Mrs. Shaut won a family trip to Hawaii; a helicopter flight seeing tour; river rafting trips; a sea kayaking trip; nights at Alyeska Resort; and an Alaska Railroad package to Seward including an overnight stay and a behind the scenes tour at the Sea Life Center. Don’t let Mrs. Shaut get all the prizes, win some yourself by joining the HRA Team!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- CENTURION FUND RAISER: The administration is still accepting addresses for the Centurion mailings. This is a wonderful time to submit new contacts for HRA’s annual pledge drive.
- School for Scandal DVDs are now on sale in the office. You can purchase the set of 3 DVDs or a single Blu-ray disc with all three performances for $10.
- Jr. High SCANTRON testing runs from Friday, May 8th through Tuesday, May 12th.
- Core Knowledge Testing for the upper Elementary grades will take place Monday, May 18th through Wednesday, May 20th.
- Graduation will take place at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church on Wednesday, May 20th. Mass will begin at 12:00. The Graduation ceremony and reception will take place in the Lunney Center directly following the Mass. Students are to be picked up from Our Lady of Guadalupe Church at the end of the school day. SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: Drivers are needed to help transport students to OLoG in time for the Mass.